Household Dog Dangers

Household dangers to your dog

 

"There's a saying. If you want someone to love you forever, buy a dog, feed it and keep it around." - Dick Dale

 

Dogs have a tendency of trying to eat just almost everything they come across. In nearly all cases, this causes some slight discomfort. There are things, however, that can be dangerous enough to cause death to your dog if he eats them.

The following is a brief list:

1) Antifreeze: Many people do not understand it, but common antifreeze kills many pets every year. It smells and tastes very sweet to your dog and is very appealing to him.

2) Chocolate: Chocolate contains a substance called the obromine which is deadly to dogs. Baking chocolate and dark chocolate is exceptionally dangerous.

3) Bleach: As you might expect, household bleach is toxic to dogs. Keep all products containing bleach out of your dog's contact or reach.

4) Tylenol: As little as two regular strength Tylenol tablets can kill a small dog.

5) Watch Batteries: If your dog ingests a watch battery, it can trigger a potentially terminal ulceration in the stomach inside 12 hours. All other alkaline batteries are deadly to dogs as well.

6) Moth Balls: Moth balls are very dangerous to dogs. They contain an insecticide that causes central nervous system excitement and seizures.

7) Fabric Softeners and other detergents: All sorts of household detergents are toxic to dogs at one level or another, but fabric softeners fall into the extremely toxic category.

8) Mouthwash: Mouthwash can contain boric acid which is highly toxic to dogs. Symptoms of poisoning by mouthwash consist of vomiting, drooling, seizures, and coma.

9) Peach Pits: With nearly all fruits, the pits and the seeds are deadly to dogs. Signs of poisoning include drooling, vomiting, and lethargy.

10) Household Plants: Many regular and popular household plants are highly toxic to dogs. A partial list of toxic plants includes poinsettias, lilies, ferns, devil's ivy, aloe, and ivy.

If you sense your dog may have eaten any of these substances, or anything else that could poison him, call a vet at once. It could rescue and save his life.

 

 

Woof... Follow Us here!

 

Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.